



ALANATHA ABEYQUIDDITCH PHOTOGRAPHY

Photo: Alantha Abeyquidditch Photography



**QUIDDITCH
AUSTRALIA**

QA Meeting Minutes

March Meeting 2

Jamie Turbet

3/15/20

Secretary



Quidditch Australia's March Board

Meeting Minutes #2

Date: 15. 03. 2020

Location: Google Hangouts

Present: Ajantha Abey, Kelsey Collins, Alistair Yap, Jamie Turbet, Nicola Gertler & Ruth Creffield (guest, Dropbears Manager)

Apologies: Luke Derrick, Scott Palmer

Nominated Chair: Ajantha Abey

Meeting Opened: 7:28pm (ATD)

COVID-19

AJ: I have drafted a coronavirus response, has everyone had a chance to read it?

JT: Yes

NG: Browsed

AJ: For Ruth's benefit, effectively immediately we will put in requirements to prevent the spread of the virus, similar to what we have already announced. Discourage training and events from now. Anyone who has contracted the virus should contact us so we can respond. We may have to suspend activities per state/nation wide as per gov.

Recommendations, spread of the virus. 1-2 weeks is a guess of when this will happen (better to do so sooner rather than later to flatten the curve), if this happens we revoke sanctioning for all events (but no punishments if people choose to schedule events). I would like to publish materials to help ways in which clubs can engage with the community whilst maintaining social distancing. Need to decide how this affects WC and Dropbears. I am building a landing page on the website to publish announcements regarding COVID-19. Discuss.



JT: When we remove sanctioning should also have a punishment for people who do host, like not counting them as ranked games

AJ: Yes I have added that into the policy.

KC: We don't need to start these recommendations straight away, are we releasing this entire policy?

AJ: I would like to release this all now for transparency so people are aware. There is a concern about people panicking, but we should err on the side of caution and be proactive. Recommendations aren't enforceable, we won't be forcing people at this stage.

JT: I agree that we need to be transparent

AJ: It has spread so quickly, we will need to be reacting quickly.

RC: We have a training session for Dropbears for Syd in 2 weeks time, and we need a plan for that. We should make it non-mandatory for players, and as the situation can change quickly, I would prefer to cancel earlier rather than later, but don't want to induce panic. Going through the airport is a concern.

AJ: When do you think is the latest we can cancel training?

RC: If it's on the cards they should know ASAP, with an answer within the next week.

AJ: I think we should make it non-mandatory, make it clear we may cancel it. If we make a NSW ban of events, that includes dropbears. We will have a firm decision by Friday.

AY: We should just monitor the situation

JT: Get a min. number of players from Paul for training to continue, so if lots of people don't come we can make a decision earlier if necessary.

RC: I would like a rough plan for the WC if it is cancelled.

KC: Before that, I agree that transparency is good, but we need to ensure we don't induce panic and look after people's mental wellbeing as well.

AJ: Given the contact nature of quidditch I am reasonably concerned about the spread of the virus, but we can emphasise that they don't need to panic and as of now we aren't enforcing bans.

JT: I don't think the document will induce panic as long as we are clear with our intentions, which at the moment is to proceed as usual.



AJ: I think people are responding well at the moment, and a strong stance would sit well. How do we feel with media and merch releases for WC?

RC: We're in a weird spot without input from IQA, but don't want to do anything prematurely. Wait to release, but be prepared to do so.

AJ: I think it might be awhile until we get a decision.

JT: I think we should set a hard deadline for when we go ahead with everything if we don't get word from IQA, 1st of April? I think we should also put a disclaimer on our fundraising page that if the WC gets cancelled their money will get given to the Dropbears in some other form, just so we can have some freedom in how we use the money.

AY: Can we fundraise regardless, because people may still want the merch?

NG: If people want refunds, we should give it to them. We're going to keep the same merch/jerseys, so we can continue to sell it. We can remove dates and locations to make it sellable for a postponed date. We don't have perishable items, can even hold on till the next WC.

RC: We have 4 more trainings, what do we do with them?

AJ: If it is postponed but players can't make it to WC, they can still attend training sessions.

JT: I think we can figure out something to do with the team on training dates if people have paid

RC: Do we host trainings if WC is cancelled?

AJ: Consult with the team to see how many people have paid, and go from there.

RC: Sounds good.

AJ: I think I can do the best to minimise panic with the release of recommendations.

Action Plan: Effective Dropbear Fundraising

AJ: Bunnings fundraising and Matt Blissenden to assist in helping

RC: We are sending out letters to different states

NG: Effective fundraising is packages that encourages upselling, a platform that visually communicates what we are doing/ all info about the campaign.



RC: Make everyone feel like we are working towards a shared goal, make the process inclusive

NG: Last time we didn't reach a wide audience, we need to try and do that this time.

RC: We should try and sell cadbury boxes at workplaces

JT: That might be difficult with current cancellations of events

RC: Yes, that would also extend to the trivia night

JT: Do we have a money goal?

RC: I think \$4600 to break even for uniforms, training camps, Abbey, and registrations. \$10 000 to go towards other costs.

JT: Lets aim for \$10 000

RC: There will be more interest this year I think, and we have thought of a better approach, and have lower price changes

AJ: Yes, this year we also have really cool stuff.

Dropbears Merchandise & Supplier

AJ: We have finalised merch options?

JT: Some thoughts about changing jumper design, should sort that today.

AJ: What were the changes?

JT: Remove leaves and change to gold text on the back

NG: Have leaves patterns focus on the middle of the jumper.

JT: Happy with that, everyone else?

AJ: Yep

JT: Ruth can you communicate this to Abbey? I can put the changes in slack.

RC: Yep. Are we happy with the jersey?

JT: I want the southern cross removed, but I think I'm the only one. I can deal.

RC: Please look at the media timeline so we are ready to release.



JT: I will take a look at it all.

RC: Where are we with reversible shirts? We can ask players to pay the difference if money is an issue.

JT: Can we afford it Nicola?

NG: Yes. We are spending an extra \$500. It will be ok, but I think it's silly not to get the reversible. Not everyone wants a singlet though.

JT: Do we know how many people don't want a singlet?

NG: Unsure

RC: I will follow up if a singlet/shirt difference with the same design matters for min. Order numbers.

Ruth Creffield leaves 8:26pm

KC: For players that don't want a singlet we can provide them with a black or white shirt, sell left overs

Communication

NG: I much prefer slack to email

AY: Agreed

Previous Actionables

AJ: Getting new staff members on slack has been done, Gameplay and events stuff will be later

2020 Action Plan

Club support avenues

JT: What we can offer? I would like to have regular check in's with clubs to find out what support they want from us. Could be me or Scott

AJ: Could also host open office hours



JT: Yes, but I think isolated conversations would also be beneficial in understanding individual club needs.

AJ: We need kidditch resources, risk assessments.

JT: We have risk, how will we get kidditch resources?

AJ: Kelsey seems interested, could she action this?

KC: It's hard to get this happening with current situation, but I can get this started

AJ: Actioning will be hard, but with nothing else to do it's great for resources production, can get ready for when we will need the resources

JT: Nicola do we have the funds for a grant system?

NG: With current situation, unsure, if we need to do refunds? What happens if quidditch gets cancelled for the year.

AJ: Depends on what we have paid for insurance wise. But we can do partial refunds? Have to see what happens this year

JT: We need to stay afloat for the year if we want to continue into next year, so refunds may not be possible.

AJ: Could we not buy insurance for the second half of the year?

NG: No, we can with financial years only.

KC: Can we contact the insurance providers if we have any options regarding this?

NG: Yes

Increase in Public Advertising

AJ: Increase in public advertising. I've been talking to someone who is willing to help us with paid advertising and also working with google ads. Want to put it on hold with the current situation.

NG: Especially if we cancel all events

JT: What will this look like if successful?

AJ: Increase in memberships and participation in the sport.



Board Roles & Expectations

AJ: Document got sent round. I liked it all, did others have any thoughts?

KC: In terms of missing meetings, does this extend to those who could never attend.

JT: No. And just to be clear, if we agree to this document that means we will follow everything that it says - it will hold us accountable.

AJ: What was the process for removing a board member?

JT: That is in the constitution, and it is if a board member misses three meetings the board may remove them. All disciplinary action is at the discretion of the board. Are we all agreed?

All: Yes

AJ: It would be good to get this emailed again with a reminder

JT: Can do

Events

AJ: State Shield, I am right in saying we were preferring Vic?

AY: Only benefit to NSW is the grant

JT: There is also media and seating lining up, increase in volunteers and is more central location

AJ: Would the honeyeaters be at a NSW SS?

NG: No

AJ: I would like to make that a priority.

AY: I think it was good to have the honeyeaters and giving people more opportunity

JT: Did the honeyeaters enjoy being at the tournament?

NG: Yes

JT: Ok, we will go with Vic?

AY: Yes, should I wait with corona?

JT: No, check to see what they will be like with cancellations for the virus. Also confirm with them we aren't liable to cancellations due to virus concerns.



NG: I am concerned about volunteers in Vic. We need to approach people early on and offer incentives, before teams get picked

AJ: We should design a budget for this and then assess what we can offer

KC: Working with Logan on ref stuff, which will involve perks for being a ref, which will hopefully help with volunteers

AJ: What type of perks?

KC: Uniforms, awards, stuff like that.

AJ: Are we happy with GC for QUAFL?

AY: Yes, we have an invoice, for park hire and application fee

NG: Costs did not include line markings or hire of change rooms

AY: Following up line markings, no storage on fields, have to be performance centre

NG: Important that we can confirm we can use these facilities, otherwise use USC?

AY: I will get in contact, hopefully going to also look at the site.

JT: When I was talking to them they were keen, but they were filling in for someone on leave, so just need to establish contact with them

AY: Yep, have been trying.

JT: We need to have this confirmed, and an alternative if necessary. Alistair can you get into contact with USC in case?

AY: Yes. April?

JT: Beginning of April.

Complaints

JT: I have also seen through looking through various process that complaint management within the community is very poor and I will be implementing mandatory training for all exec members, plus coaches and captains, and any other form of leadership a club or organisation has. Proposed training is in slack. Complaint mismanagement is a serious issue, leading to members leaving the community as well as opening us up to legal issues. I will be



taking it very seriously, and implementing punishments to those that do not comply, such as barring participation from QUAFL.

I have also investigated the role of MPO and I'm fairly certain it is compulsory to undergo some training. I have also been looking at other forms of complaint management training.

What sort of budget would we have for training programs?

NG: No idea, we need to know costs but if it needs to happen we will make it work.

AJ: It is good to make training mandatory, the resources you have found are good.

Financial Update

AJ: Do we have a financial update?

NG: No sorry

JT: I think it would be good to get quarterly financial updates. Not necessarily for meetings, but something emailed to us. Could this happen?

NG: Yes, definitely.

Gameplay

KC: I really want to finalise the gameplay document and will be putting discussion points in slack for big changes I want to make, please discuss if you have any opinions. I will give everyone a week.

Media

AJ: For stuff to go on the website, email me with 'FOR WEBSITE' with the document, otherwise it is too hard to track

JT: For reference, everything that goes in the public document drive is ready for the website, but I can also send emails.

JT: With the current situation we all need to be prepared to have emergency meetings as it all develops, please try to make yourselves available.



QUIDDITCH AUSTRALIA

Incorporated

QA Meeting Minutes | 15/03/2020

Meeting Closed: 9:14pm (ADT)